As an individual I’ve always been fascinated about how the body works and the power nutrition can have on the body and the Mind. One topic that has caught my attention recently is the importance of Gut Health I have been pretty astounded about the research.
- The Human Gut is home to 100 trillion!! microorganisms
- There are 10x more bacteria in your gut than cells in your entire body
- Between 60-70% of your immune system lives in your gut
In todays typical western society diet of refined and processed carbohydrates, the gut takes a real hit! But we never really put 2 and 2 together and focus on rebuilding our gut health. But if you want a strong immune system, better digestive health, more energy and improved clarity then believe me the Gut is the place to start.
When your gut is in tip top shape you feel great! your never ill, your energy is constant and your always in a good mood. Think of your gut as your second brain. Because in fact it is, your gut sends messages to the brain and the two are directly linked. In fact the majority of serotonin which helps control mood, sleep, anxiety and depression is made in your gut, not your brain.
How do we go about rebuilding our gut health? Its is a mixture of nutrition and lifestyle, there are also a few really helpful supplements out there that can help aswell.
- Cut out processed and refined foods – These foods will give the green light to bad bacteria to overwhelm the good bacteria in the gut.
- Eliminate Certain foods – Try taking out gluten and lactose for a period of time and see how you respond. Re introduce them slowly again see how your body reacts.
- Take a Probiotic – This will help restore healthy gut bacteria.
- Keep Hydrated – The gut needs water, to keep waste moving through the digestive system. When dehydrated this can lead to inflammation within the gut
- Consider L Glutamine – Glutamine is an essential amino acid, that is an anti inflammatory. It will act as a protector and coat the cell walls of your intestine.
As I said I never really felt the gut was that important, but I always suffered from digestive issues. Why did I never do anything about it?! Its probably because in general we don’t see or hear much about gut health and how crucial it is. But let me tell you since I have implemented some of the above tips, not only had my digestive system improved I have seen a plethora of health benefits. My energy has sky rocketed, touch wood my immune system seems to be the strongest its ever been! Plus my overall mood and mental clarity is at an all time high.
So if you are suffering from digestive issues definitely looked to your gut health. But also if your constantly fatigued, depressed or always getting ill, the gut maybe the best place to start instead of the doctors waiting room.
Happy Health, Lifestyles over Diets
Joe from SJFitness