Bikini season is upon us and it’s time to unveil the body that’s been hiding beneath those warm jumpers and winter coats. With a combination of strength training and cardio, you can get your rear view in peak condition. Incorporate a few diet tweaks and you’ll be more confident to flaunt your lower half by the pool or on the beach.
Here’s a list of exercises and that target your lower half:
Exercise 1 for a Bikini Bum
Stand with feet slightly wider than shoulder-width, feet pointed about 45 degrees outward, to perform plié squats. Squeeze your glute (butt) muscles and lower until your knees are bent at a 90-degree angle. Slowly rise to start and continue for one set of 20 repetitions. On the last repetition, squat and rise just a few inches in a pulsing motion. Pulse 20 times. This exercise tones your glutes, thighs and calves.
Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, toes forward, to perform a “touchdown,” a combination squat and reverse lunge. Bend your knees 90 degrees while sticking your bottom out behind you. Take a large step backward with your left foot, then bend your knees at 90-degree angles to lunge. Push off with your left foot to return to start. Continue squatting and lunging, alternating legs, for 15 to 20 repetitions on each leg. This move combines leg and bottom strength training.
Stand with feet shoulder-width apart to perform an explosive jumping lunge. Step forward with your right foot and bend your right and left knee at 90-degree angles to perform a basic lunge. Jump upward, switching legs mid-air. You should land with your left leg in front and your right leg behind. Bend your knees to lunge on your left leg. Continue for 10 to 20 repetitions. This exercise blasts your calves and thighs.
You’ll need to burn excess calories so why not go for an overall tone and fitness approach and try doing HIIT classes. I have a lot of very satisfied customers who take part in my Metafit classes and love the results. If you don’t want to join classes, then check out Joe Wicks on his YouTube channel.
Diet tweaks for better results
1. Avoid sugary drinks and switch to water instead. This will help with calorie reduction, digestion and make you feel full, whilst avoiding the bloating that fizzy drinks can cause.
2. Swap your white pasta and white rice for quinoa, brown rice or even popcorn (without butter and salt). Three servings a day of whole grains can help fill you up with fibre whilst reducing fat intake.
3. Try to eat at least five daily servings of fresh fruits and vegetables, which contain water, fibre and nutrients but no unhealthy fats and sugars.
4. Eat lean meat, including fish, chicken and lean cuts of beef, for low-fat protein boost.
5. Have 2 tablespoons of vinegar daily. Acetic acid, the active ingredient in all vinegars, has been shown to help jump-start the enzymes that break down fat. If the idea of drinking vinegar straight ruins your appetite, eat salad with a vinegar-based dressing to get your daily dose.